School Readiness (Pre-K)
School Readiness Mission:
Inspire, engage, and empower all students in becoming creative problem solvers, active citizens, and life-long learners through rigorous curriculum and relevant instruction within a supportive environment.
The School Readiness Department will ensure that Pre-Kindergarten students have access to a high-quality developmentally appropriate learning environment to prepare them for school success in the 21st century. It supports a climate that assures individualized learning and supports diversity, curiosity, play, and self-regulation. The program is aligned to meet/exceed the ten Quality Indicator Benchmarks as defined by the National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER). The curriculum is also aligned with the Alabama Standards for Early Learning Development Standards and the National Association for the Education of Young Child (NAEYC).
Huntsville City Schools Pre-Kindergarten Application 2022-2023
The HCS Pre-K Application for the 2022-2023 school year is open March 1, 2022 - March 31, 2022.
Reminder: This is only an application for the Pre-Kindergarten program, not registration. Applying for Pre-K does not guarantee placement into the program.
To qualify, children must be 4 years old on or before September 1, 2022 (no exceptions)
The 2022-2023 HCS Pre-K application requires two steps this year:
- STEP 1: Completion of the Alabama First Class Pre-K Online Application
- STEP 2: Completion of the Huntsville City Schools Pre-Kindergarten Application
BOTH applications, 1 and 2, are REQUIRED to be completed in order for your child/children to be considered as applicants for the 2022-2023 school year. You will receive a verification email from both applications separately.
If you have any questions related to the Pre-K application process, please email us at email@example.com.
(Please feel free to donate additional items to the classroom at your own will.)
- Child Size beach Towel for Nap
- Complete Change of Clothes (Pants, shirt, socks, and underwear)
- Backpack or Tote bag (Large enough for a folder, towel, and clothes)
- Water Bottle – name clearly labeled
- Face Mask or covering
- Children must be four years of age on or before September 1, 2022 (children who are eligible for Kindergarten are ineligible to apply).
- You must be a resident of Huntsville and can only be selected for the school zone in which you live.
- A child cannot be retained in Pre-Kindergarten, he/she can only spend one year in the program.
- The application window will open on March 1, 2022 at 8:00 a.m. and close on March 31, 2022 at 5:00 p.m. The online application is a two-step process and will be available on the Huntsville City Schools website under the School Readiness Department. If you are unable to access the online application, please contact the School Readiness office (256-428-6886) for assistance.
- The application process will RE-OPEN from July 11 – Dec. 31, 2022.
- The Magnet Schools (AAA, ASFL) Pre-K application window typically opens and closes in the fall. Please contact the Magnet School Department for more information.
Sessions available via Zoom only. Links will be provided.
- Outreach Sessions offered in February and March:
- Tuesday, February 15th at 9:00am & 12:00pm
- Thursday, February 17th at 5:30pm
- Tuesday, February 22nd at 9am & 5:30pm
- Thursday, February 24th at 12:00pm
- Thursday, March 3rd 10:00am & 5:30pm
- Huntsville City Schools uses an automated selection program to randomly select children for the Pre-K program.
- The program gives priority to children based on at-risk factors and other eligibility criteria identified by Huntsville City Schools.
- All Pre-K students must reside in Huntsville and can only be selected for the school zone in which the child lives.
- If selected, parents will be notified via email of Provisional Acceptance usually within two weeks after the initial application process closes.
- This acceptance will be contingent upon the verification of all eligibility/required documents stated in the provisional acceptance letter and attendance at the mandatory orientation.
- All documents must be submitted to the school by the date specified on the provisional acceptance letter.
- Parents must attend a Mandatory Orientation. Orientation dates will be included on your provisional acceptance letter.
- The child is considered fully enrolled after the following occurs:
- PowerSchool registration is completed. More information on registration is available on the Strategy & Innovation page of the HCS website.
- All documents have been verified by the school site.
- Parents have attended Mandatory Orientation.
- The Ages and Stages Questionnaire is completed when requested
- Age verification document (for example, birth certificate, passport, official medical document, or official document from another country)
- If you own/rent you must provide two (2) proofs of residence (1st - signed lease, copy of a deed, mortgage statement, 2nd - utility bill, cable, or telephone bill)
- Parents/guardians living with another person or family must complete the new shared resident packet and provide all required documents (please see the student enrollment reference guide).
- Immunization Record (most current)
- Parent/Guardian Photo ID
- Proof of Temporary Guardianship (if applicable)
- Proof of Legal Custody (if applicable)
- Additional documents may be requested.
- If you have not received a provisional acceptance letter by mid- April, your child will be automatically placed on the wait list.
- If a vacancy occurs and your child is selected you will be notified via email and phone.
- The wait list will remain active throughout the school year.
This event will take place in August (tentatively, Tuesday, August 2nd & Wednesday, August 3rd). Teachers will notify parents of the date and time that they are scheduled to attend. It is important that students and parents have an opportunity to become acquainted with the teacher and new school environment prior to the first full day of school.
- Staggered start allows Pre-K students an opportunity to get adjusted to the classroom in a small setting.
- Fifty percent (50%) of the students will report on Wednesday, August 3, 2022, the other (50%) will report on Thursday, August 4, 2022
- All students will report on Friday, August 5, 2022.
- Fifty percent (50%) of the children in the Blended program are ages three and four with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Student participants who do not have an IEP must be screened to determine readiness level as a model peer.
- The program is 6.5 hours a day. Students must be signed in and out daily by a parent or an adult guardian.
- Start times may vary by school depending on the grade level structure.
- There is No Cost
Once students are accepted into the Pre-K program, daily attendance is MANDATORY. We follow the attendance policy as identified in your parent partnership agreement.
There is a maximum of 18 children per class that are taught by both a lead degreed teacher certified in Early Childhood Education and an auxiliary teacher with a minimum of nine hours of college credit in Early Childhood Education or Child Development Associate (CDA).
Parents are responsible for transporting students daily.
- The Creative Curriculum for Preschool is our curriculum. It is aligned with the Alabama Standards for Early Childhood Development. Research-based, comprehensive curriculum that furthers exploration and discovery as a way of learning.
- Conscious Discipline, I See I Learn, and Second Step are additional Programs/resources that support social-emotional, health and safety, and cognitive development.
- Imagine Learning Language & Literacy and Imagine Math
- Teaching Strategies GOLD
- Imagine Math and Imagine Learning Language Literacy
- ASQ-3 (Ages and States Questionnaire) - Developmental Screener that is completed before school begins.
- e-DECA-P (Devereux Early Childhood Assessment for Preschoolers) - 2 times a year.
- PELI (Preschool Early Learning Indicators), we adopted 2021-2022.
Extended day may be available through ALPHA-BEST at some sites. Contact the schools for more information.